After any tragic event, conspiracy theories are reported all over the world. Some might be true but most of them are usually wrong. Here are some examples of conspiracy theories:
- 9/11 World Trade Center was not destroyed by Al-Qaeda but it was an inside job from the American government.
- Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack was not perpetrated by Al-Qaeda branch from Yemen but by the Mossad from Israel.
- The Illuminati rules the world.
In Taiwan, conspiracy theorists are usually not as trusted and influent as in the US. Nevertheless, with the 2 successive events (Plane crash in Taipei and Hostage situation in Kaohsiung prison), Taiwan conspiracy theories started to emerge. Again, we are not going to make you believe in them or debunk them. This is not the objective of this article. We are just going to quote them and you can make your own opinion.
Taipei plane crash conspiracy theories:
- The opposite political party DPP planed the plane crash in Taipei. Indeed, Taiwan president Ma Ying-jeou (From KMT) insisted in keeping Songshan airport. This plane crash makes him look weak and his decisions bad. The Taiwan presidential election being next year, DPP would start their campaign early. [See related article Ma Ying-jeou is happy with Songshan airport]
- Xi Jinping’s government organized the plane crash in Taipei. Indeed, Chinese opposition leaders were among the passengers.
- Businessmen planed the plane crash in Taipei. Indeed, important Chinese businessmen were in business travels in Taiwan to close major deals and their competitors wanted to stop that to happen.
- European aviation planed all the recent crashes in Asia (Malaysian Airlines and TransAsia mostly) in order to enter the Asian market by promoting the safety of their airlines.
- TransAsia Airways wanted to find a cheap way to test and train its pilots. [See related articles TransAsia training pilots – TransAsia announced new safety measures]
- The police police told the media the 6 inmates killed themselves but actually they captured them. They will be interrogated and maybe torture them.
- The 6 inmates at Kaohsiung prison did not kill themselves but escaped. It feels odd that they were able to get rifles and have 2 hostages; then, they demanded a car and when the police refused they all committed suicide.
- The 6 inmates have been hired to become Taiwanese spies. Faking their death was the best solution to hide their new identity.
- The hostage situation was organised by Kaohsiung mayor Chen Chu‘s political opponents to make her look weak.
- The hostage situation has been perpetrated by a local pro-China media station in order to increase their audience and popularity. This is why the inmates had good access to media and could give freely a 15-minutes interview where their were they making their demands.
All those conspiracy theories contradict each other but one might be true. Do you think any of this might be true? Do you think it is possible? Do you also think there many points which have not been explained in those 2 tragic events? If yes, spread the rumours!
Author: Ms. Chouetty, Johanna.