Related Articles

40 Comments

1. Xtina

So proud to be a Mauritian!!!

2. Mauritian

Hold on! Hold on!
    What’s wrong with you people? Have you been to Mauritius before? This ranking is about how welcoming or approachable those countries are. I travelled the world myself. Lot of countries have language barriers, culture shocks, severe laws, crimes and in some , locals have no time for tourists. I hear you people who is asking what about your country. I’m sure places like afganistan, Iraq ,North Korea etc have their own beauties. You go on pilgrimage to Mecca or to the Vatican , I bet you would come across an asshole..
    This ranking is not about who is the least evil. Learn to love and respect this planet. People like you who are complaining make this planet ugly. Enjoy your short stay.
    It doesn’t matter who is first or last. Let’s applaud the Mauritian people for their tolerance and acceptance of different cultures and religions. You will not see this multiculturalism anywhere else in the world.
    I live in Canada. And I’m so proud how Mauritius raised me. You won’t know it until you experienced other cultures around the world. Peace

1. Mauritian

Sorry for the second post. I wasn’t sure if it went throught.

3. Mauritian

Hold on a second……. Why are you all upset with that ranking ? Have any of you guys been to Mauritius island ? You are missing the whole point about this ranking. When it says friendly,it’s not on a personal level, but on an approachable level. In lot of countries you go visit, there is language barrier ,cultural shocks or locals simply don’t have time for tourists. Just RELAX. I’m sure your country has its own beauty and your people are wonderful . So is afganistan , Iraq or North Korea etc. you go to Mecca on pilgrimage or the Vatican, you can surely come across an asshole…..
    This ranking is not about who is the least EVIL in the world. Love and respect this planet. We r here for just a short time. Stop complaining.

MY OPINION.

1. Peer

You as a Mauritian, what are you complaining about this long boring message?

4. Pingback: Mauritius, friendliest country in the world | MauritiusandMe

5. Manish

Hullo Peanuts,

Can you send us a link to the detailed analysis? I’m curious to know which nationalities found which countries more or less friendly

Thanks 🙂

6. dam

je suis un mauricien, j’en suis fière, mais simplement les politiciens qui gâche a beauté de l’ile, avec la corruption, la drogue , communale ….. ils sont entrain détruire l’ile. différence entre communauté, la loi que pour les pauvres, les haut placé non pas de droit au fouille à la douane, vip lounge pour eux.
    vat voir à cette époque la , préparation aux élections , bribe électoral.
    help , help , help .
    pour nos enfants de demain.
    merci

7. Islander

“We think it’s good to note that 9 out of the 11 countries are islands.”

I’d say it’s good to note that none of the best-ranked countries have a large tourist industry. The most visited countries in the world are France, the USA, Spain and Italy; none of them are highly ranked. The top 10 friendly destinations here are those who welcome considerably fewer foreign visitors.

My conclusion is that familiarity breeds contempt, and that the more tourists a country welcomes, the higher the likelihood of an unfriendly reception. And you only need to visit a country with a large tourist industry (say, Thailand) to understand why…mass tourism is not the boon often depicted by politicians.

So when the above piece says that Taiwan is not such a popular tourist destination, hopefully it will remain so and the Taiwanese will remain friendly to those who visit them instead of becoming just another place with a mass tourism industry. Funnily I am a Mauritian in Australia and have quite a few Taiwanese friends…I do find them very friendly! Aussies too, but wouldn’t rank them as high as 10…you meet very friendly Aussies as well as less friendly ones.

1. peanutsdaily

Hello Islander,
      As I said in previous messages, everyone has different experiences and not everyone has the same as you. When you say you are shocked that I think Indonesians are pushy. I don’t think all Indonesians are but I had a few bad experiences (most are very nice, friendly and welcoming people. Indonesia is actually 13 in the ranking which is very high). Most of people I know had different experiences than me with Indonesia. That’s from a personal opinion and experience and it is not written anywhere in the article that Indonesians are pushy. Some people don’t have much money and as you said it can make a big difference for them. But also, some people don’t have much money and can be philanthropist. Or some people can be richer and be pushy: it is not about money but about people, personality, education, culture, experiences, religion… (See this link which illustrates what I am saying https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JL7X_ICVA) But trust me when I tell you that some people were pushy. I am not the one making the statistics, neither writing articles.
      About the most visited countries. You compare what is not comparable. For example USA has a population around 310 Million people and 70 Million tourists a year which is a ratio tourist a year/population of 20-25%. Thailand has a ration of 40%. Italy has a ratio of 80% same as Fiji or Mauritius. There are 1.2 million people living in Mauritius, of course they cannot welcome 70 million people a year.
      The sentence where you write: “you meet very friendly Aussies as well as less friendly ones”. This sentence is as good as saying fire burns and earth is round. You can say this sentence for every single place, country, city… You can meet friendly Mauritius people as well as less friendly ones.
      All the best!
      Web administrator

8. Brandon

Surprise to see Japan being so low on the list, everyone I meet in Japan was extremely friendly. I guess North Korea is last by default, the only person who visited that country is Dennis Rodman.

1. peanutsdaily

Dear Brandon,
      It is true that most of personal reviews I have from people going to Japan are excellent. However, we correlated the data from 3 years of the World Wanders Federations (WWF) annual analysis which consists over 10,000 independent travel agents and from various airlines annual flight records that are open to the public. Everyone has different experiences when travelling and this ranking does not obviously match everyone’s opinion.
      Thanks for your understanding.
      Regards,
      Web Administrator

2. Niko Bellic

The Japanese sure are friendly to European/American/Australian visitors. With the obsession they have with skin tone in this part of the world, not sure though whether an Albanian, Nigerian, Peruvian or Indian would experience the same friendliness. Benefit of the doubt…

1. Kieran Gaya

The Japanese are NOT friendly if one is any shade darker than their own darkest. They are still racist and full of their own sense of superiority. .. Not all – but many.

9. Jusr2bfrank

May I know, who conducted this survey? TQ

1. peanutsdaily

Dear there,
      We correlated the data from 3 years of the World Wanders Federations (WWF) annual analysis which consists over 10,000 independent travel agents and from various airlines annual flight records that are open to the public. Everyone has different experiences when travelling and this ranking does not obviously match everyone’s opinion.
      Thanks for your understanding.
      Regards,
      Web Administrator

10. doris

Fiere d’etre mauricienne. Its true we are very friendly that’s why sometime people take advantage of that.

1. Xtina

So true!!!

11. doris

Fiere d’etre mauricienne. Its true we are very friendly that’s why sometime people especially people take advantage of that.

1. Janine Desvaux (Gidais)

Gidais,

Vrai!

12. J

Australia should not even be in the top 10. The amount of shit you get for ‘being asian’ in Australia is ridiculous. If you go to the beaches you will see that even more. There are a more countries in southeast asia that are better than Aus. Dont buy into the media bullshit about Aus.

1. peanutsdaily

Dear there,
      It is true that according to my personal experience, Caucasian people were more welcome than Asians in Australia but it does not mean they are unwelcome. If they were, they would not return there. However, we correlated the data from 3 years of the World Wanders Federations (WWF) annual analysis which consists over 10,000 independent travel agents and from various airlines annual flight records that are open to the public. Everyone has different experiences when travelling and this ranking does not obviously match everyone’s opinion.
      Thanks for your understanding.
      Regards,
      Web Administrator

2. Niko Bellic

“The amount of **** you get for ‘being asian’ in Australia is ridiculous.”

Oh make no mistake, Australians love Asians…as long as they are cute Asian women willing to get married with an Australian! Hahaha, anyone not fitting that description is more or less considered expendable/inferior. However there is also a high level of immigration from Asia, China in particular… I don’t think so many Asians would be willing to move to Oz if the locals were truly that hostile to Asians.

13. cara

from my experience .

1. Indonesia
    2. Laos
    3. Thailand
    4. Bangladesh
    5.French Polynesia
    6.Mauritius
    7.USA
    8.Greece
    9.Portugal
    10.Jamaica

1. peanutsdaily

Dear Cara,
      This is a nice ranking too. From my personal experience Indonesia could not be first because they just try to sell you stuff more than being naturally nice: they are pushy. However, we correlated the data from 3 years of the World Wanders Federations (WWF) annual analysis which consists over 10,000 independent travel agents and from various airlines annual flight records that are open to the public. Everyone has different experiences when travelling and this ranking does not obviously match everyone’s opinion.
      Thanks for your understanding.
      Regards,
      Web Administrator

1. Islander

I agree with the above poster too. I am shocked that you would describe Indonesians as pushy because I experienced the exact opposite when I went there earlier this year. Whenever I went shopping in Jakarta and Bali, I was amazed to see the vendors letting me check things around and take my time without pressuring me to buy anything. All Indonesians I’ve met were friendly in a way I’ve not seen elsewhere, and I have been to a fair number of countries.

I have been to Thailand too and this is where I’ve found street vendors to be truly pushy. But then, these are things you’ve got to learn to deal with as a visitor: you have to bear in mind that a sale of just a few dollars could make a huge difference to the income of the vendor. It might enable them to buy something more for the kids, maybe new copybooks or better food. So I find it really harsh when locals are held to account for being pushy with tourists. You should never forget that it’s a matter of survival for them, their livelihood.

Finally I happen to be from Mauritius and can tell you that if you have not been to a Mauritian street market, you have no idea what pushy means. And don’t even get me started on street vendors and beggars in India…

1. Sheridan

It would be interesting to do a survey which included skin colour as a criterion, and see how much the list changed.

14. Pingback: Trochetia Travel | Mauritius- world’s friendliest countries

15. olivier

Bravo aux mauriciens. Multiculturel faire nu la force, pas laise li vine nu poison.

Lom de l’ile morice.

16. Din

Dear Editor:
    What an outrageous statement to make in an article. At number 7 under Ireland you have mentioned that they are friendly towards foreigners and then put
    “(Probably depending on their skin color)”

This is such a generic and horrible statement to make about a group of people – implying that Irish people as a nation are Racists. I think you will find that in Ireland regardless of skin color foreigners are welcomed with open arms.

1. Rita

Dear Din,

I don’t know about the whole Irish population being racist, but I’m brown and i had the most horrible experience with a native being racist to me and then another unrelated racist native got involved and bullied me. After this, I never ever want to set foot in Ireland again. Maybe it was an odd case, but from a visitor’s point of view, I’m afraid that I have to agree with the editor

1. peanutsdaily

Dear Rita,
        Thanks for your comment. The line with the color reference has to be taken with humour. We added it because like your experience we had similar testimonies. It’s good to note that quote refers to large minority of Irish.
        Regards,
        Web Administrator

2. Islander

I suggest you take a look at online forums where Irish people comment-constantly complaining about immigrants coming to Ireland and taking their jobs. What truly gets me is that the Irish complain about migration to their country in derogatory terms when Ireland itself historically has one of the largest diasporas in the world. The Irish have never been shy to take advantage of opportunities to migrate to the USA, UK or Australia yet they are annoyed at immigrants coming to their country, especially if those immigrants are non-European.

17. Manish

A proud Mauritian going back to his country in December for Holidays, hope the locals are nice with locals lol 😛

1. Avita

As a Mauritrian, you should know that locals are never nice with the locals, sad reality but true!

1. Islander

Totally true! As a Mauritian myself, I feel totally irritated with those Mauritians who express plastic pride in their country even though they’ve not been living in the country for ages and only visit it for holidays. It’s definitely not the same thing when you are a Mauritian living and working in Mauritius, it’s in such circumstances that you discover the flip side of the coin.

1. Manish

When I wrote, hope the locals are nice to locals, that was sarcasm

And I’m not an expatriate but a foreign student in Paris, I’ve grown up in Mauritius, only abroad for my studies

18. mohamed

I dnt find my country.. but Maldives is famous for its beauty and warm welcom to tourist.. every year a billion visits maldives.. but this country is not considered in your country.. very baised ranking….

1. Manish

Maldives? You mean that Islamist country where every citizen is required to be a Muslim and who destroys its Hindu and Buddhist relics in museum, jail atheists and call western tourists depraved infidels?

Please, you are fooling no one

19. themel

Proud to be Mauritian ^_^ well done peeps..!!